Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Pearl Story

A friend asked me to share this story her Facebook wall. It touched me so much I thought I'd make it into a note. I don't think I realized how personal or pivotal this experience was for me until I shared it.

There was a young girl that had a faux pearl necklace that she adored. She wore it everywhere and with everything. B/c it wasn't real, the paint began to chip away but she didn't care. One night, as her dad was putting her to bed, he asked her for her beloved necklace. She frowned, clutched her pearls around her neck and pleaded, "No daddy, I can't give you my pearls. I love my pearls. Anything but these." "OK honey. Sleep well. Daddy loves you", he said with a kiss.

The same thing happened the next night. And still the girl would not give up her treasured pearls. "Daddy loves you. Rest well sweetheart." On the third night, her father asked her again. And with tears in her eyes she removed her pearls and gave them to her father. He said, "Thank you honey. I have something for you." He pulled out a navy blue, flat, square, velvet box and gave it to her. Inside was a beautiful, brand new string of real pearls.

God reminded me of this story one night a few months ago. I was talking to the Lord about death to self and he said, "You know, it really is like that pearl story." And I said, "So you're saying that when I die to what I want and what I think I need, when I place it at your feet to do whatever you wish...", he finished "...you get everything you wanted and more."

That was a powerful night. A definite mark of new direction and growth for me. I'd been focusing on death and it was needful and good, but he was having trouble shifting my thinking towards the next step, resurrection. Wow. That brought tears to my eyes all over again. God is so amazingly good and generous. Who is like him?

Matt 7:11 AMPIf you then, evil as you are, know how to give good and advantageous gifts to your children, how much more will your Father Who is in heaven [perfect as He is] give good and advantageous things to those who ask Him!

Who is like the Lord?

1 comment:

alive4evr1 said...

Why did you close your facebook page down?