Thursday, April 23, 2009

What Jesus said (and did) about Family - Part 2

(This is a continuation of the previous note.)

God designed the church to rest on the finished work of the Cross. You see, satan has no problem with praising, dancing, fiery preaching, bible reading, nice buildings, conferences, building funds, fasting, tithing, or even regular church attendance. In fact, he’s sitting in the front row in most churches shouting the loudest “Amen!” He’s fine with a powerful youth ministry, with great choir, a thriving outreach ministry, and a well staffed volunteer organization. Why not open a few blind eyes and heal a few tumors while you’re at it. Satan is OK as long as no one gets up and says, “The work for your deliverance has already been completed! The price for your holiness has already been paid! Jesus is the end of the law for everyone who believes! Your inheritance is free!” That’s when he starts to sense any real danger. But as long as there’s a grace/law mixture being preached, he’s as cool as a cucumber. The body of Christ simply does not have overtaking capabilities without the teaching of the pure, the real Gospel.

In ministries today, we are trying have to the “power of God that brings salvation” with no power. That’s ridiculous when you think about it. The power to rescue people from hell, the grave, poverty, sickness, and all other lack is in the Gospel, which is righteousness and blessing by faith. (Rom 1:16-17) With even the slightest departure from that message our foundation is cracked and the structure is unfit. That’s just the black and white truth. In fact, Paul pronounced a double curse on anyone who taught anything different from that message in Galatians 1. The first 5 chapters of Galatians is a strong rebuke of the church for being legalistic. He said things like, “Even if an angel from heaven comes teaching another gospel than what I’ve shared, let him be cursed!” (Gal. 1:8) He later said, “Are you so stupid that you began your life with Christ by the Spirit, and now you’re trying to walk with him by your own effort?” (Gal. 3:3) Then, he added in chapter 5 verse 2, “For anyone trying to be righteous or get anything from God by his effort, Christ profits you nothing.” You might as well not even be saved. Wow. It’s not to condemn anyone, but to shed light. Plus, I realize that by now I’ve already lost anyone who this wasn’t for anyway.

I think preachers believe that too much grace will cause more people to sin. The opposite is true. The strength of sin is the law (2 Cor. 15:56, also see Gal. 2:19-21 NLT). The more rules or laws are set up around holiness or blessing, the more that holiness and blessing will elude people’s grasp. Doesn’t God seem so backwards sometimes? Here are some benefits to teaching pure grace:

1. People become instantly able to recognize the leading of the Lord. (See my earlier note “How to be Spirit-led…An Experiment”)

2. Evangelizing will improve and increase.

3. People won’t be able to get enough teaching on grace. They will be able to sit through the exact same sermon week after week and still want more.

4. The Holy Spirit will begin directing traffic and people will get into their proper place.

5. Church productivity and efficiency will sky-rocket.

6. Church income will dramatically increase.

7. The church will always know the peace of being in the direction and the will of God.

8. There will be more movement of the Holy Spirit during services.

9. Each church will be unique.

10. More leaders will emerge.

I think the only downside is that all the religious people will immediately leave. The people depending on their service/giving/holiness/whatever to bless them will be terribly offended and leave the church. That’s OK. Jesus called those kinds of people vipers (Matt. 3:7) Now, I just don’t see the benefit of having snakes crawling around while people are trying to worship :)

To conclude, Jesus was a very secure man. He didn’t take his family’s lack of support personally. He also trusted in the power of the Holy Spirit to rescue his family. They’d spent enough time with him for the seed of salvation to be planted in their hearts. Ideally, the same family he grew up with would be the same family who was born of God. But, when forced to choose because his purpose and calling were at stake, he departed trusting that the Holy Spirit could handle it the job. He created distance. This is what I’m doing as well. No, it’s not easy but what other choice do I really have. I can’t not follow the Lord. I’d wilt not being and doing what I’m meant to. And, I rely on his power to help me with each step. He’s so patient and gentle. Plus, he has sent people into my life who share his opinion about me and celebrate me. Only God can do that.

Your “distance” may not look like mine. And don’t put anything on from the outside. Allow these changes to flow from the inside out. Let the Holy Spirit lead you through your heart. That way you won’t be vacillating. He’ll let you know how much explanation is necessary. He'll strengthen you to act even when you can't articulate or put your finger on the problem. He’ll harden you to the seemingly good intentions or the expressions of abandonment from others. He will help you take a stand. He knows when to be tender and when to be tough. Again, let him lead. Don’t forget that he didn’t come to being peace.

If this note has pricked your heart, then respond by just saying “OK” in your heart. Have a frank conversation with the Lord and allow him to guide you. He knows your sensitive areas and he will strengthen them. Remember, God knows the wrinkles of your heart far better than you do. He knows our motives and fears better than we do. And he will bring them to your attention with the intent to heal them. Well, I hope this has encouraged you. I certainly enjoyed writing it. Be blessed!

PS – I know what you’re thinking. “How did she go from discussing family to talking about grace?” Don’t you know me by now? We could be talking about barbeque chicken and I’d say, “Speaking of barbeque chicken, did you know that the work for your life with God has already been done?” LOL

Your questions, comments, insights, and revelations are always welcome. Or, if you'd feel more comfortable, feel free to send me an email.

6 comments:

Thatdudeyouknow said...

Hello!
I found you through the twitter which I found through Eliazar Putera. I found Eliazar because he started to follow me on twitter. Don't know how he found me. Anyway. I'm a Swedish born Messianic jew living in Ma'ale Adumim, a town on the West Bank near Jerusalem. I'm 27 years old, married + 3 children. Me and my wife and 7 more families started the first congregation in Maale Adumim in 2005. We are still a small congregation, meeting in the pastor's living room because we can't find a regular place. I preach about once every 6 weeks. Other times I have Shabbat school with kids or lead worship. I work as an accountant and I am a student of Economy at the university. I think this is pretty much all I want to say about myself on this public forum. The reason I leave you this message and the reason I will add you to my RSS and start to comment is that even though we believe in the same saviour and we both agree that we are saved through grace alone, your views are very different to mine as to the status of the Old Testament. You wrote that "I feel obligated to say that living by grace doesn’t produce recklessness. A person who lives by grace is significantly more obedient and holy than if they lived by the law. They just aren’t conscious of it" - why does this not apply on the law of thithing in Malachi 3 or of unholy animals in Leviticus 17? Why do you think that the Law is no longer relevant to us who are saved? We are saved by grace, but this grace makes us willing to do his will, and his will is stated in the law. I do not say that we should follow the law as a rule book, but rather use it as a mirror, to see where our errors are.
(Of course, my ministry is mostly to the jews which makes these questions more relevant in a way. Non-jews are of course, as we can see in Acts 15, not obligated to all the laws given at Mount Sinai).
I think we can have an interesting dialouge.

Anonymous said...

His will stated in the Law was towards JESUS, and what He had to do on our behalf. It is all about HIM. He did not half save us, He fully saved us. Once we accept His sacrifice and live by GRACE alone, the Law is completely taken out of the way. There is no more Law of Moses, so how can we now look to that for His will and measure up our "errors". In Christ we DON'T HAVE ANY ERRORS! He has MADE us perfect. Hallaleujah!

Erna said...

@Thatdudeyouknow - Please forgive me! I wrote this blog as an outlet thinking no one would read it. So I don't check the comments too often, nor do I know how to "reply" to a comment. Still learning :)

OK, if I understand your question correctly you want to know why I think Christians are no longer obligated to tithing or animal sacrifices if I think a person will produce more holiness by living under grace. Is that right? Well, to begin Romans 10:4 and Matthew 5:17-19 tells us that Jesus is our law fulfillment. So, every person on the planet already has an A+ in law-keeping. The person who believes that gets to have the Holy Spirit come line inside of them who will lead them into all truth (John 16:13)

Also, Hebrews 10:8 tells us that in the OT God wrote his law on stones. But after Jesus He now writes his instructions on our inner most thoughts (Amplified). He also says in Philippians 2:13 that God is always working in us the desire and ability to do his will. So, when I put all these ideas together I know that today God leads us by his Holy Spirit, and his instructions now appear to us as our own thoughts and desires. I've found that as re peel away legalistic thinking, this system of being led is profoundly accurate.

So, if a person has a desire to give 10 percent to a ministry, and they know that Jesus already fulfilled the requirement for financial blessing, then that's God working inside of them. Actually right now I have that desire. I know I don't have to, but the thought of it makes me giddy. (Giddiness is a mark of the HS leading. I'm not trying to minimize the honor and weight of the HS, but it's true) So, I obey that. What is that? It's God writing his will on my inner-most thoughts. And technically, how I'm responding is called "obedience", but really I'm just following an overwhelming desire in my own heart. I didn't put that desire there to be holy. It came. At the same time, there have been times when I was not led to read my bible except for a few verses for several months. It's all about being led by the HS. Where ever he leads is where the power is.

Now, I do believe that the reason the HS won't lead a person to do an animal sacrifice is b/c that was done as a typology of what would happen to Jesus. In the OT, the guilty person would offer a spotless, young animal to bare their punishment for them. Well, we have that in Jesus (John 1:29). And if a person were to try to impute punishment on an animal, they are trampling on the finished work of Jesus. He bore every punishment and curse for our sins ahead of time. Who does that but Love?!
So, in a nutshell: God's will for us is no longer stated in his law. The purpose of the law was for people to try it, fail, and then cry out to be rescued (Romans 2:12 7:7-12, also see 3:20). NOT try to keep it and earn blessing and righteousness. Today, God's law or will is expressed through the indwelling Holy Spirit. And most of his will cannot be found in any of the pages of scripture. Most of his instructions are unique to only you. And even though the HS who wrote the bible and the HS inside you won't ever conflict, both are equally sturdy.

Does this answer your question? Please let me know if it does not.

Erna

Unknown said...

this is just awesome. I am currently at number 3: People won’t be able to get enough teaching on grace. They will be able to sit through the exact same sermon week after week and still want more.

I loved also what you said about He’ll let you know how much explanation is necessary. He'll strengthen you to act even when you can't articulate or put your finger on the problem. this is especially true in my life right now.
I will link your blog in mine. I am sure it will be an inspiration for many people.

Love
wilna

Chinedu said...

You are absolutely right. The New Testament speaks more of deliverance from the law, redemption from the law than from sin, the devil, any other thing for that matter.
More grace.

Mick said...

great preaching Erna ;-)